The Committee on Government Enterprises and Privatization of the House of Representatives has just approved House Bill No. 1843 or the act creating the Metro Cagayan de Misamis Development Authority (MCMDA) principally authored by Rep. Rufus Rodriguez. MCMDA aims to institutionalize the delivery of services that transcend political boundaries and have a long-lasting and sustainable positive effect on the traffic, sanitation, and living conditions in the cities of Cagayan de Oro and El Salvador and the municipalities of Villanueva, Tagoloan, Opol, Alubijid and Laguindingan.
HB 1843 also aims to provide an integrated transportation development plan for Cagayan de Oro City which is patterned to the services provided by the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA).
In his explanatory note, Rep. Rodriguez highlighted the essentiality of the establishment of the MCMDA in keeping pace with the current developments happening in Cagayan de Oro as one of the busiest cities in Northern Mindanao.
Rep. Rufus likewise the emphasized the proposed agency’s contribution to transforming adjacent municipalities and cities into more vibrant, environmentally friendly, and livable places. The functions of the MCDMA are as follows:
- Long- and short-term development planning;
- Transport and traffic management and institutionalizing a system to regulate road users;
- Establishment of sanitary landfills and other alternative programs to address solid waste management;
- Flood control and sewerage management;
- Urban renewal, zoning, land use planning, shelter services;
- Health sanitation, urban protection, and pollution control;
- Formulation and implementation of programs that achieve public safety and disaster preparedness
Read full text of HB 1843 below.